Natural Cold Prevention – Top Tips & Natural Methods
The common cold can be a debilitating virus, usually affecting the sinuses, which make up the forehead, cheeks and nose. Once a cold has taken hold, it can affect our ability to breathe and coupled with a cough or a sore throat, the overall effect means we are out of action for days, often longer. Apart from treating the symptoms, we have to endure the cold until the virus finally leaves the body. Natural cold prevention is possible by boosting the immune system and keeping the body healthy.
Tips for Natural Cold Prevention
- Wash Your Hands – Germs are able to live for hours on surfaces such as door handles, keyboards and telephones. By washing your hands regularly, you can eliminate the possibility of contracting a virus
- Get Plenty of Sleep – Getting anything between 7-9 hours sleep per night enables the body to repair itself and keeps the immune system in tip-top shape
- Drink Plenty of Fluids – This helps to flush out the virus and strengthens your immunity
- Eat Well – Foods with an abundance of vitamins and minerals will help to support the immune system. Plenty of fruits and vegetables, including red berries, citrus fruits, carrots and beetroot will help you fight germs naturally
- Get Plenty of Exercise – It boosts the circulation, allowing the immune cells to kill off viruses and flush out any toxins
- Breathe Fresh Air – This supports the lymphatic system and enables the immune cells to move around the body more effectively
- Use Essential Oils – Frankincense oil is antiviral and antibacterial; it can help to clear a stuffy nose and aid in combating a respiratory infection. It can also be used to clean the home, effectively eliminating any germs or viruses which are hanging around
- Get Too Stressed – Stress weakens the immune system, allowing infection and viruses to take hold. Try meditation or yoga to soothe your mind and body
- Drink Alcohol – Drinking to excess affects the immune cells in the body. Just as we do, they become disorientated and confused, unable to perform as they should
- Smoke – Smoking depletes the vitamin C levels in the body, which affects our immunity to infection. It affects the respiratory tract by causing irritation, leaving us wide open to viruses and disease
- Consume Sugar – Sugar and other processed foods suppress the immune system, making natural cold prevention almost impossible.
Natural cold prevention is a possibility for everyone, as long as specific guidelines are followed. By incorporating this advice into your daily life, your immune system will be stronger and you will feel healthier and full of life!